Leica rangefinder cameras constantly receive numerous comments and posts on their expense, quality and value over DSLR and micro four third counterparts. Okay the price is pretty hefty and that’s Leica’s business however, setting cameras down beside each other, I’ll still take mine. Better quality than any micro four thirds and most DSLRs. Smaller than the vast majority of DSLRs and the smallest full frame camera… until Sony steps up with its Nex, but I don’t do auto focus :p
On a street photography walk, I will walk between 5 and 10 miles in a day. In addition I’ll jump on the tube at least 3 times in that day. I simply couldn’t walk around with a DSLR in my hand, all day, and with a back pack too!
To prove I walk light, here’s my street pack
- Lowepro Event Messenger 150 Mica
- Leica M Monochrom
- Leica 35mm f/2 Summicron-M Asph
- Plastic bag for camera in case of downpour!
- Earphones for train journeys, although don’t use them on the street as you’ll miss things!
- Barton Braided Leather Neck Strap
- Join me on a Guided London Photo Walk
- Lenspen – much better than cloths
- Sandisk SD Card (95MB/s one)
- Spare Leica battery
- Yoobao power bank and at 11200 MAh, this will charge an iPad and 2+ smartphones! We never travel without it.
Finally, take a few Pounds/Euros/Dollars in the case there’s a stand out street act who fills a great frame!